Skip to main content

AndroidStudio and a RAM Disk

Ok, my iMac is late 2012 and only has 8GB of RAM. I decided to see if it would be possible to speed up my development cycle, especially for running unit tests and the like but just as much for an improved build time as well.

After much fiddling in the dark and reading some great pages, I eventually came up with the following solution that works for me but bear this in mind:

Danger Will Robinson

RAM is volatile so everything you do is gone forever when you unmount it or shutdown so don't forget to copy your changes elsewhere. If you have Git integrated properly then get into the habit of committing frequently.

I have considered writing a small bash script to run `rsync` from a custom menu option  (and thus a shortcut key binding) or look into using the Apple Automator to transfer any changed files across to the hard drive.

Whatever... you have been warned!

Step one: Create the RAM disk, I do it like this:

diskutil erasevolume HFS+ "RAMBO" `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://4194304`

Once that is done, the next thing I do is check out my project (as I don't leave any changes uncommitted overnight just in case!) as a "new" one from source control into the RAM disk, that will make indexing a lot faster, and everything in general.

Step Two: Gradle configuration

To tell gradle where to shove it (!) during a build, you need to add this to your project build.gradle file:

allprojects {
    buildDir = "/Volumes/RAMBO/gradle-build/${rootProject.name}/${project.name}"    repositories {
        jcenter()
    }
}

And then do a clean, rebuild and run. For me at least the change in build times and overall feelings of fuzzy warmness have been well worth it.

All the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHP and Lisp: multiple-value-bind (MVB)

This is another article in my attempts to find new ways of looking at PHP and making it less of a chore to type in all that code. As much as I love PHP I hate wasting keystrokes. More typing is more errors is more grief. Being an off and on user of Lisp, although not as much as I used to, one of the things that I always liked in Lisp was the ability to be able to return multiple values from a function at once using (values) and then marry that with (multiple-value-bind) to create convenient named bindings for whatever you were about to do. I recently found myself wanting to return a couple of values from a helper function and I just didn't want to go to the trouble of having to type all those character required to create an array with keys for the two values and then I remembered MVB and a little light went on in my head! If somebody else has already done this then I apologise up front but it was new to me and I haven't seen it anywhere else so this could be a first! ...

Angular.JS ... absolutely awesome BUT...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Sort the documentation soon please!  More soon, I really do like it though. :)

Handling multipart/form-data with NanoHTTPD

I am in the process of reviving an old project from 2014 that I never finished because of other work commitments. In that time, bitrot has set in, the Android API has moved on and all in all, the home-brewed HTTP server I wrote using SocketServer and the org.apache libraries had to go! I looked around, found a couple of contenders and after much time decided to go with NanoHTTPD because it is lean, small and fits in exactly two files. The main server is in one file `NanoHTTPD.java`and there is another file called `ServerRunner.java` which manages instances of running servers. The others The other project I looked at is this one:  https://github.com/koush/AndroidAsync which led me a merry dance and I just couldn't figure out how get the POST data I had uploaded. I spent a few days really digging at it with Wire Shark too to make sure the data was going up. It was. Whatever... I had used it via a gradle dependency entry but I dropped it and went back to NanoHTTPD. For m...